ORIGINAL ARTICLE SOURCE : CONFIT PORK JOWL & SEARED SCALLOPS
CONFIT PORK JOWL, SEARED SCALLOPS, CARAMELISED CAULIFLOWER WITH CORN AND BACON PICKLE – Serves 2
|For the pork jowl: 1 x pork jowl, skin removed 300g pork fat 1 x recipe confit salt (see below) 20ml vegetable oil||For the scallops: 4 x scallops, roe and adductor muscle removed 20ml vegetable oil 20g salted butter juice from ½ a lemon|
|For the corn & bacon pickle: 1 x rasher of bacon cut in 1/2cm strips 2 x ears of corn ½ a red capsicum, finely diced ½ a green capsicum, finely diced ½ a cup of finely diced red onion 185ml cider vinegar 185ml water 2 tablespoons of sugar 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds ¼ teaspoon of fennel seeds ½ tablespoon of salt||For the confit salt: 100g rock salt ½ cinnamon stick 2 cloves garlic 4 sprigs thyme 1 sprig rosemary 1 small bay leaf 1 star anise 2 white peppercorns 4 coriander seeds|
|For the cauliflower puree: ½ a head of cauliflower, cut into florets 50ml vegetable oil 50g salted butter 100ml vegetable stock 50ml cream 20ml chardonnay vinegar|
Corn and bacon pickle
- Cook the bacon in a pan until crisp and drain on paper towel. Cut the kernels off the corn and combine with the capsicum and onion in a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 10 minutes to remove some of the cornstarch. Drain. Combine the vinegar, water, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and salt in a pot and bring to the boil. Add the corn, capsicum and onions to the pot and bring back to a simmer. Add the bacon to the pot and pour the entire contents into a glass jar. Put the lid on the jar and place in the fridge for two days to allow the flavours to develop.
- Pound all the ingredients together in a mortar and pestle until well combined.
- Coat the pork jowl in the confit salt and leave to marinate for 6 hours.
- Wash the salt off the jowl and pat dry. Place the jowl in a cryovac bag or ziploc bag with the pork fat and cook in a water bath at 82c for 8 hours. Once cooked, gently place the jowl between 2 pieces of baking paper and put it in the fridge with a weight on top (the pestle would be ideal)
- First steam the cauliflower until tender (around 8-10 minutes). Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy based pan, add the cauliflower and fry for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Add the butter to the pan continue cooking until the butter is a nutty brown colour. Puree the cauliflower in a blender with the vegetable stock, cream and vinegar and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Gently heat the corn and bacon pickle in a pot and keep aside until ready to use.
- Slice the pork jowl into 1cm slices and pan fry in the vegetable oil until golden brown, drain on paper towel and keep warm.
- In a very hot pan cook the scallops for 30 seconds in the vegetable oil. Turn the scallops over and immediately add the butter and allow to foam up, add the lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Spread the cauliflower puree across 2 plates, top with the corn and bacon pickle and the pork jowl. Arrange the scallops to the side, making sure to add some of the pan juices from the scallops. Garnish with some fresh herbs and some sea salt flakes.